Thursday, March 25, 2010

11 of My Favorite Baseball Quotes

The history of Major League Baseball echoes with the wise (or wise-acre) words of those who have played the game. With 11 days remaining until Opening Day 2010, I offer 11 of my favorite baseball quotes:

11. "Good pitching will always stop good hitting, and vice-versa." - Casey Stengel

10. "Well boys, it's a round ball and a round bat, and you've got to hit the ball square." - Seattle Pilot's manager Joe Schultz

9. "If you had a pill that would guarantee a pitcher 20 wins but might take five years off his life, he'd take it." - Jim Bouton

8. "People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." - Rogers Hornsby

7. "They throw the ball, I hit it. They hit the ball, I catch it." - Willie Mays

6. "Baseball? It's just a game, as simple as a ball and a bat. Yet, as complex as the American spirit it symbolizes. It's a sport, a business, and sometimes even religion." - Ernie Harwell

5. "Baseball is 90% mental. The other half is physical." - Yogi Berra

4. "Don’t look back. Something might be gaining on you." - Satchel Paige

3. "Why does everybody stand up and sing 'Take Me Out to the Ballgame' when they're already there?" - Larry Anderson

2. "You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the goddamn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." - Earl Weaver

1. "Hit 'em where they ain't." - Wee Willie Keeler


Your turn - have any favorite baseball quotes to share?

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Say it ain't so, Joe."

    I think this was said by a waitress in one of those new tea salons to a patron who insisted on asking for coffee.

    Actually, it's a quote that summarizes how we all feel about baseball. Our hopes about what it is, what it should be and sometimes is not, and what always will be eternal about it.

    And the quote is pithy. Everybody loves pithy.

    ReplyDelete