Years back, when friends and I were trading mix tapes and later, mix CDs, there was something called a Frankenstein Mix. Frankenstein Mixes earned their name because they were assembled out of assorted, potentially mismatched pieces of your music collection. Those of us who were earnest mix makers know that the art of a good mix lay in getting all the music to flow well from one song to the next. Frankenstein Mixes were a different beast. You and your friends agreed upon a specific set of rules that must be followed, regardless of whether the mix flowed well or not. In fact, somewhat jarring juxtapositions were expected and celebrated.
With Halloween approaching, I thought it an appropriate time to resurrect the Frankenstein Mix, but in the modern era of all digital music. Rather than trading mix tapes or CDs, I challenge you to a trade of Frankenstein Playlists! Do you think you're up to it? All you need to do is set up a 20-song playlist on your Spotify page, such that each song corresponds to the 20 "rules" below. The rules are open to interpretation - whatever you read into it is fair game. Once you've completed your playlist, come back here and post a link to your creation in the comments section below (right click your playlist's title and choose "Copy Spotify URI," which you can then paste in your comment here), so that we can all listen. Comments and conversation about one another's playlists is also welcome and encouraged! Your 20 songs should be chosen as follows:
1. A song under 1 minute in length.
2. A song from last physical album or CD you purchased.
3. A blues: not a necessarily a blues record but a song that is labeled (something) blues.
4. A song that gets you going and makes you feel good.
5. A song that reminds you of your 1st relationship.
6. A song in a language you don't speak.
7. A song from a favorite band/artist.
8. A song from an artist or band that you otherwise don't like, but you like this one song.
9. A lullaby.
10. A favorite song from a genre/style you usually don't like.
11. A Beatlesque song.
12. A song from the year you graduated high school.
13. A song from an artist that you are embarrassed to admit you like
14. Whatever it is, it has to be funky.
15. A song for those quiet rainy days.
16. Song title asks a question.
17. Song title answers the question asked by song #16.
18. A song with "sun" in title, or that reminds you of summer.
19. Your favourite Elvis song.
20. An instrumental.
Playlist Title = a favorite movie quote.
Here is my entry: Well?...We're Waiting...
Hoping that many of you will join in, and we all get to discover some music we might not have heard otherwise!